Amarillo was established in spring of 1887. Fort Worth and Denver City Rail road was constructing diagonally crossways the Panhandle of Texas south east toward northwest; the Atchison, Topeka plus Santa Fe north east toward south west. At their crossing, someplace south of Canadian River, an excessive cattle shipment market was unavoidable. Track driving times were over.
It became outward the shipping center will be south east of the Fort Worth and Denver City’s Amarillo Creek junction, as far northern on the Plains as likely and so far keeping clear of Canadian River. Wash burn had a topographical benefit, however personal energy centered courtesy on Amarillo site.
A Place Named Ragtown
The Amarillo trade center, which was initially named Ragtown, was placed out near the current crossing of Bowie plus West 4th. Town-site marketers paid State of Texas $1,280 for 640 acre of school terrestrial.
The term Amarillo, which means yellow in Spanish, was perhaps chosen owing to the color of the sub-soil in adjacent Amarillo Creek. In the initial days maximum households were painted yellow in integrity of the name.
The history court house was constructed in 1888 of brick prepared from Amarillo Creek. The unique court house square was restricted through Travis, Bowie, Fourth plus Fifth streets into “Old Town.” The railway depot was south of the trails among Ong plus Lipscomb. Stockyards as well as loading chutes were North West of the current center area. Amarillo rapidly sported a hotel, post office, saloon, dwellings stores, and one otherwise two wind mills.
In 1889 the town started to move, typically on wheels, to the Glidden and Sanborn adding a mile toward the east. The yard was towed to Polk plus First. The Amarillo Hotel, a big wooden construction, was constructed at Polk plus Third. By 1890 trades and households were strung alongside Polk and Taylor. The first community utility was a water source system from a wind mill and reservoirs at the Sanborn farmstead.
The “Old Town” continued formally at the court house until a vote in May, 1893 moved it toward the Glidden as well as Sanborn adding. County workplaces were hired in the business center as well as books and records were carried backward and forward.
From Whistle Stop to Town
By 1910 the populace of Amarillo had developed to 9,957. In 1913 Amarillo penned its own charter as official that year through the Texas Administration. The charter was preferred by 657 plus opposed through 169 at the voting on November 13.
The Iron Horse
Industry in Amarillo started with railways, cattle plus merchandising. The first Fort Worth and Denver City traveler train reached in Amarillo into March of 1888 from Clarendon, which was the previous terminal. Building was accomplished to Texline wherever the Fort Worth and Denver City linked with the Colorado plus Southern. The two firms, with a system reaching from Wyoming toward the Gulf of Mexico, were now combined into Burlington System. In 1928 Fort Worth and Denver City built a system of railways on the South Plains that significantly benefited Amarillo. In 1931 they started construction from Childress toward Pampa.
The Atchison, Topeka as well as Santa Fe stopped construction while it reached the city of Panhandle in 1887, however brought its trains toward Amarillo in excess of the Fort Worth and Denver City trails by way of a “top line” linking Panhandle plus Washburn.
The Pecos Vale and North Eastern, recognized locally as the Pea Vine, constructed into Amarillo from Roswell into 1898. That similar year it came underneath regulator of A.T. & S.F. which started its over-train service from the east toward Roswell as well as west ward in August, 1899. The A.T. & S.F. constructed linking connection from Panhandle toward Amarillo in 1908, and continual south toward Sweetwater in 1911, north east toward Borger in 1926, as well as north toward Los Animas to the extent that Boise City in 1931.
No crops were developed in initial cattle days. A steer might be raised on the open array for the price of a chicken. But with the fence of the ranges as well as enhanced cattle grades, the rising of fodder, sorghum plus millet started as early as 1890.
About the turn of the century, following initial fodder tests, wheat planting started. The Panhandle area ultimately developed in to a main wheat belt of America. Nowadays the region produces cotton, vegetables, grain sorghum, and other crops.